Thursday, June 4, 2009

My Top Picks For: June 2009

(All recommendations are based off of my own opinion. Everyone has different tastes in games. If you think something else should be a top pick, let it be known in the comments.)

I haven't done one of these in quite some time. I plan on doing a post like this every month. What am I talking about? Why, helping all of you pick what games are worth your hard earned cash. Living in this economy, it is important to get your money's worth out of your games. As a video game enthuesiest, seeing someone blow $60 on a game like Terminator: Salvation makes me a sad panda. So, let me be your salvation.

There are quite a few games worthy of purchasing this month. A few top sports games, a couple of movie games, and one of the best fighting games of all times gets an upgrade. Too many games to pick from, so I guess that is why honorable mentions exist. So, what is coming out in June that you must buy?


1. Ghostbusters (360, PS3, Wii, DS, PS2, PC) $20-60


After all of these years, we are going to get a good Ghostbusters game. I had a chance to play the PS3 version as this year's New York Comic-Con. Think Gears of War plus the awesomeness of Ghostbusters. That is what you get with Ghostbusters the game. You play as the rookie of the team alongside the original cast of the movies (featuring voice acting by all of the actors as well). There will also be a few different multiplayer modes (360, PS3, and PC). Bust some ghosts with your friends!


2. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (XBLA, PSN) $15


Jill Valentine vs. Zangief. Dr. Doom vs. Ryu. Hulk vs. Guile. One of the greatest fighting games of all time, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, is being re-released with smoother graphics and online play. What more could you ask for? Coming out for $15 is way cheaper than what you have to pay to get a copy for PS2.


3. Prototype (360, PS3, PC) $50-60


Remember Hulk: Ultimate Descrution? That is what you are getting with Prototype. It is a sandbox game set in New York City. Your character, Alex Mercer, can absorb people and become them, turn his arm into a huge blade, and can elbow drop tanks. He is looking around to recover his memory, but who cares. HE CAN ELBOW DROP TANKS.




Honorable Mentions:
1. Fight Night Round 4 (360, PS3) $60 - The next installment of the great boxing series.
2. BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (360, PS3) $60 - Don't want the rehashed Marvel vs. Capcom 2? Try this for a breath of fresh air.

3 comments:

Laonar said...

There is to many games to narrow it down to 3, but Ghostbusters is a good pick. Although I think its either going to be great or a bust.

Marvel vs Capcom 2 I never played but it is a good game. I also never heard of Prototype.

Red Faction I think is a must have also.

Cody said...

You really think Red Faction is a must have? I will have to try the demo. I saw it played at NYCC this year and wasn't too impressed.

If you missed it on the forums, there was a link to someone live streaming Ghostbusters. Definitely not a bust. I knew it wasn't a bust after playing at NYCC. It just felt right.

Laonar said...

I am hoping Ghostbusters is the *#$# of all awesomeness. Movie games just dont get a good rap though. So it will be either awesome or stupid!!! Red Faction plays like GTA on Mars with every building being destroyable. The multiplayer is very Quakelike and enjoyable if you can find a game.